Bootable USB drives are usefull to users mostly when their DVD/CD ROM drive is brokn, or not working. At that point of time, bootable USB drives are required to accompolish task.
Now question is how to make bootable USB drives. You dont have to worry in that case because now you can create bootable USB drives on your own and that too in very easy steps.
HOW TO MAKE BOOTABLE USB’s DRIVE
- Download/install the HP USB Disk Format Tool (Windows).
- Download the Windows 98 system files from EXTREME Overclocking.
- Create a new folder and extract all the files (Windows 98 system files) into that new folder.
- Make sure that the USB drive is unlocked.
- Plugin the USB drive into your computer’s USB port.
- Run the HP USB Disk Format Tool.
- Click on the drop-down list under Device and select the USB drive.
- For File system, select FAT32.
- In Format options, select/check Create a DOS startup disk.
- Select “using DOS system files located at:” and click on the small box with the 3 dots.
- Browse for the folder where you extracted the Windows 98 system files and click OK.
- Click on Start button.
- It will display a warning message. Make sure you selected the right USB drive, if so then clickYes.
- The HP USB Disk Format Tool will format the USB key and copy the DOS system files into it.
- Click on Close, when done.
- Your bootable USB drive is created.
To make sure that all the right files were copied into the USB key, browse into the USB key and check that the following files are there – COMMAND.COM, IO.SYS and MSDOS.SYS. In you don’t see the files, you’ll have to make sure that your system allows you to view protected operating system files.